Monday, September 21, 2009

PPStreaming

Yup. It had to happen. I'll happily rant about anything I want.

PPS, or otherwise known as PPstreaming, is a chinese developed software meant to stream videos. Streaming is a process of rapidly getting data and playing back, almost instantaneously. Data only flows through the computer, and does not occupy any disk space.

Initially, the software is used in china (duh!). The internet speed there is actually way faster than what we have here, and so, by streaming, it is a logical idea too, since not many people likes to download movies. And from what I can tell, chinese can stream movies without affecting their download speeds, as they have a much better bandwidth.

Now here lies the problem. Some smart ass chinese who came here to study, tried to PPstream in Malaysia, but failed, as the speeds were atrocious. I bet he/she told some Malaysian that streaming is the future and bla bla bla.

Thing is though, streaming is good, but please do it in the confines of your own house, not in a shared house, or a hostel. The whole house's net will crawl, and people will hate you, your children, grandchilden and 3 generations after that. It is downright selfish to stream in a shared house, as PPstream can really suck the bandwidth. I've seen, in a house equipped with a 2MB/s Streamyx line, PPstream can use up to 1.8MB/s. That is what we all call a leeching program, and not even torrents can achieve such speeds. Sure, you benefit by enjoying your movie, and not wasting any hard drive space, but at what cost?

Conclusion? Stop streaming and get a life. I don't mind people downloading torrents, but PPstream is just way too stingy. To all PPstreamers, you know who you are.

1 comment:

BenzPinto said...

I totally agree with you! My housemate PPStreams occasionally. I know this when my connection gets lagging and when i check my router, it will show up PPStream.. Damn annoying..