Sunday, February 15, 2009

Maisto Audi R8 Review

I got this model at a discount. The original price was RM50 , but then there was a 20% off discount, so I payed only RM40 for it. Still quite a bargain, I suppose.

The Packaging.
The packaging itself was quite generic. The only way you can know the model is by the sticker on the lower right hand side. Other than that, there is mention about the car inside the box. Beside the car's name, is the category the car is under. in my case, the R8 is under the Special Edition Series, in particular, the 1/24 scale.

The Car

- Details

The details of the car is quite good, I must say. But it is not excellent. For example, there are no disc brake details on this car, just hollow space behind the rims. Other details, such as flocked carpets as well as PE seatbelts are not available here. The uber cool LEDs under the headlight is also missing. The exhaust is molded together with the whole body. But that is about it. Let's talk about the positive side now.


The interior detailing is top notch. Other than the material of the seats and the lack of carpeting, I give the interior a solid 9/10. Small touches such as meter detailing, radio detailing, seatbelt lock has not been forgotten. There is even an R8 logo where the door closes.




The body detailing, is also quite good. Maisto managed to recreated the carbon fibre (CF) details by putting wave-like patterns on the plastic parts. The lights are also quite well detailed. Other than that, the logos on the car is also well replicated. Save for the Quattro wording that seems to be missing on the front grille. I give the exterior a 7/10.


As for the engine details, I must say that Maisto managed to replicate the V8 Quattro quite well. The CF treatment was the same as the sideblade behind the door. Other than that, there is nothing much to shout about. I give it a 7/10



The paint on the car, is not perfect. I found a few small paint blotches on the front bonnet, but that is about it. The painting around the door seal is less than perfect, where it can actually show the metal color beneath it. The paint gets a 7/10 from me.

The wheels are quite detailed. The Audi logo can be seen clearly. But what annoys me is that circle piece molded on the back of the rim. Makes it look quite funny. The tires are generic ones. Overall, the wheels get a 8/10 from me.



Overall

I am quite impressed with Maisto's offering. The car is cheap, and yet has some small touches adds up. There are a few cons, but at this price, what else can you ask for? This car makes a good welcome if you like the R8. Or you can present it to a friend as a birthday present, considering its price. The Maisto Audi R8 gets a 8/10 from me.

No comments: